Skip to main content

Mental Health



Frequently Asked Questions

-Where is the Carruth Center (CCPPS) located?

-How do I arrange to see a counselor/psychiatrist/etc.?

-I am a returning client. What do I do to schedule an appointment?

-What are your hours?

-How do I know if I need counseling?

-How do I know if I need individual or group counseling?

-If I come for counseling, does it mean I’m mentally ill?

-How do I arrange for cognitive testing?

- How does counseling work, anyway?

-Are your services confidential?

- Who are your staff members?

-Are there limits or fees to the services I can receive?

-Is there a fee for services?

-Do you prescribe medications, for example, for depression?

Where is the Carruth Center (CCPPS) located?

The Carruth Center is located in the new Health and Education building on the Evansdale campus. It is right next to the Student Recreation Center. The Carruth Center can be found on the second floor. All of our services (Student Assistance Program, Counseling, and Psychiatry) are now located at this location.

Back to Top

How do I arrange to see a counselor/psychiatrist/etc.?

To schedule an initial counseling appointment, contact us at (304) 293-4431 during business hours (M-F, 8:15 am to 4:45 pm). The front staff will ask you for your name, contact information and if you require emergency assistance. You will be asked to come for a 75- 90 minute appointment to complete some background information and then meet with an intake counselor.

Those needing to see a psychiatrist should call (304) 293-4431 to arrange an appointment. A psychiatrist is a physician certified in treating mental illness and he or she can prescribe medication if recommended.

Students should also call this number if they have questions regarding sexual assault awareness and/or prevention, or to speak with a counselor about sexual assault.

If a student wants to speak with someone about substance abuse concern or if they have a substance related judicial or residence hall difficulty they should call the Student Assistance Program at (304) 293-4431.

Back to Top

I am a returning client. What do I do to schedule an appointment?

If you have received counseling (been assigned to a counselor and completed at least one visit) and would like to resume short term counseling, please call us at 304-293-4431 to schedule an appointment so that we can best assess your counseling needs. Scheduling an appointment will ensure that the counselor you see has time to review the records of your previous care and may decrease your appointment wait time. In most cases, we will attempt to schedule your appointment with your former counselor (unless you prefer a different counselor).

Back to Top

What are your hours?

Counseling Appointments: 8:30 am – 7:00pm, M-Th (note: a limited number of evening appointments are available and they fill up quickly) 8:30 am – 4:45 pm, F

NOTE: Summer hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15 AM – 4:45 PM.

Drop-In Hours: 8:15 am – 4:45 pm, M-F

Student Assistance Program: 8:15 am – 4:45 pm, M-F (appointments only)

Psychiatry: 8:15 am – 4:45 pm, M-F (appointments only)

Back to Top

How do I know if I need counseling?

Questions, choices, concerns, and changes are all a normal part of university life. Sometimes students can work through them on their own or with the help of friends and family. Sometimes, they can feel too private, overwhelming or complicated to share with someone you know. When this is the case, talking to a counselor can provide a safe, neutral, confidential setting to explore your concerns and move toward making changes to improve your life.

What are some of the reasons students seek counseling?

Students come to CCPPS for many different reasons. Counseling can help if you are experiencing any of the following:

-Relationship Concerns

-Problems with school or studying

-Adjusting to WVU and being away from home

-Wanting to improve your self-confidence

-Wanting to improve your family or other relationship

-Difficulty taking care of normal “day to day” life activities

-Having problems with your mood

-Worrying to much

-Not fitting into the campus culture

-Thinking about ending your life

-Consuming too much alcohol or other drugs

-Questions about your sexuality

-Eating too little or too much

-Thinking about dropping out of WVU

-Recovering from unwanted sexual contact or violence

-Carrying a secret that you haven’t told anyone, but wish that you could

-Difficulty balancing the demands of student life.

-Questions or concerns about your racial or culture identity

-Grieving over the loss of someone close to you

It is also okay if you don’t know what you want to address; we can help you figure that out as well.

Back to Top

How do I know if I need individual or group counseling?

When you meet with a clinician during your initial intake or consultation, he or she will discuss with you the different services available and his/her recommendations given your concerns, goals and available treatment options. Sometimes students are reluctant to participate in group counseling, but in many situations this form of treatment can be more helpful than individual treatment.

To learn more about group counseling, please visit our Group Counseling web page.

Back to Top

If I come for counseling, does it mean I’m mentally ill?

No; we offer help with a variety of issues that can feel overwhelming but are actually pretty common among college students.

Some of these include adjusting to new academic demands, homesickness, dealing with parental expectations, choosing a major or career, dealing with difficult roommates, and dating/relationship issues. Therapy works by helping you objectively look at behaviors, feelings, and thoughts in situations you find problematic.

Back to Top

How do I arrange for cognitive testing?

If you would like to speak with someone about being tested for a learning disability, please call the Office of Accessibility Services at 304-293-6700. They will determine if our testing services are needed, and will arrange an appointment. Due to the lengthy nature of cognitive testing (several hours), these services are by appointment only.

Back to Top

How does counseling work, anyway?

Perhaps the best brief answer comes from the pamphlet “Talk to Someone Who Can Help” published by the American Psychological Association:

“Therapy works by helping you objectively look at behaviors, feelings, and thoughts in situations which you find problematic. It helps you to learn more effective ways of dealing with those situations. Therapy is a collaborative effort. You and your psychologist will identify your goals—what you want to have happen—and agree on how you’ll know when you’re making progress. Your psychologist will talk to you about the length of time it may take to help you see changes. Progress, and change, can happen. Nine out of ten Americans surveyed by Consumer Reports said that psychotherapy had helped them.”

Back to Top

Are your services confidential?

Yes; we take confidentiality very seriously, and will not release your protected health care information without your written consent unless presented with a court order. CCPPS records are confidential and not part of or connected in any way to your academic records.

In rare cases, we may need to seek help from others to ensure your safety or the safety of others; in these situations, only the minimum information necessary will be shared with appropriate persons. Prior to your first meeting with a counselor, you will receive our Informed Consent form and Notice of Privacy Practices. Please discuss these with your counselor if you have any questions or concerns.

Back to Top

Who are your staff members?

In addition to our wonderful support staff at the check-in desk, our Center includes:

– Nine licensed psychologists

– Four physicians (psychiatrists)

– Three social workers

– 10-15 interns, graduate assistants, and practicum students in the fields of psychology, social work, and sports medicine.

Back to Top

Are there limits or fees to the services I can receive?

CCPPS counseling treatment philosophy is based on a brief treatment model. Counseling research and our many years of experience suggests that most students who participate in treatment services at counseling centers get the help they need within 1-4 sessions.

The number of sessions each student needs will vary from person to person, and is based upon a collaborative understanding between the counselor and student. Under certain circumstances, additional sessions may be approved.

If additional sessions are requested by the student’s counselor and approved, a $25.00 service fee will be assessed for each session. Group counseling sessions, however, are unlimited and will not incur a fee.

Some students may benefit from longer term or specialized treatment that is not available at the center. When students require these kinds of services, the intake/triage counselor will help them arrange counseling with outside counselors/psychologists or treatment agencies and additional fees and/or insurance coverage may be required.

Students scheduling psychiatry visits with one of our psychiatrists can expect a $25.00 service fee per visit. No insurance is billed at this time.

Additional services such mandated Student Assistance Program or MindFit services will require additional fees.

Back to Top

Do you prescribe medications, such as for depression?

Our psychiatry staff may prescribe medications if they believe it will benefit the student. Students should prepare to discuss their need for medication with their doctor, and be open and complete about their symptoms, medical history, and current use of other medications prior to accepting a new prescription.

Back to Top